Friday 2 September 2011

TV Advert Production - Task 4

Developing the product idea.

I decided to take the information from my questionnaire and develop the first idea for my fizzy drink before I did the second lot of market research, so I could get some feedback on what I was getting right and what was not so good. My first idea was this.
I arrived at this initial idea because I decided to go down the route of energy drinks. 'Oomph' is a word used in an expression 'Give it some oomph' which means 'give it some energy, effort, etc'.
The fist symbolises power and and determination, it is also a rather masculine sort of symbol and would appeal to my target audience.




When I carried out my second batch of market research and asked people's opinion on this logo, I realised I needed to change it considerably. For a start, it is very plain and not very brightly coloured, so it does not jump out and attract people's attention. Another big point is the fact that the fist looks very political, which could be a large problem. Taking this into consideration yet still wanting to keep the basic idea, I began sketching out more ideas.
 (I used this image of a fist holding a candle to base my drawing on.)

And this is my finished design & logo. I decided to have the can as a logo because it shows to the audience what the can looks like without them having to translate the logo onto the can.
I improved it by making it more colourful, it also looks less violent and political.
The typeface is called 'Another Typewriter', I chose it because it is very clear but also looks quite cartoony which goes with my design.

Typical Target Audience Member Profile


Ideas for advert.

I started out by doing a mind map to help me sort out my ideas for the advert.

Proposal/Treatment

The advert that I have to do is for a fizzy drink product aimed either at boys aged 14-18 or girls aged 14-18. I have chosen to aim my advert and product at boys. 

I intend for my advert to by simple yet effective. I believe that having too much going on in an advert dilutes the main message which is trying to be put across and therefore is not as effective for advertising purposes.

For my advert, I plan to illustrate to the audience how my product (Oomph) can be enjoyed wherever and whenever the consumer wants. 
To do this, I intend to get many different shots in which the product (in this case a can) is in the foreground, importantly with the logo on full display to the camera and the main focus point in the shot, so the audience recognise it and it is firmly placed into their heads. In the background of each separate shot I would have something going on which a boy aged 14-18 may typically be doing, whether this be playing football, skateboarding, playing videogames etc. As I would need a lot of these particular shots, I may also use shots which do not have as much action going on, but may just be located in a place where boys of the target age group would go or hang out, such as college, the park, a street, etc.

To put these shots together, I would use clean cuts. This may seem boring at first, but I plan to keep the can in exactly the same place in the framing of the shot, so when I clean cut through all the shots, the can appears to be in the same place, with only the background changing. This I believe, is a simple and easy effect to do however it looks great and clever if done correctly. 
A lot of my shots would be outside and there would be enough natural light to film without having to bring any additional lighting onto the set. However any shots that may be filmed indoors would need artificial lighting. I would make sure that the can is lighted extremely well, the background does not need to be illuminated quite as much, as long as it does not look unintentionally dark and the viewer is able to see clearly what is going on.

To accompany the visuals, I would use a single song as audio. I believe that using too many different sounds in an advert makes it sound messy. Also the single song would help the shots run smoothly together.
I would pick a fast and upbeat song for my advert, so I could then cut my shots to the beat, as this looks pleasing to the eye and makes the advert move more naturally. For the song, I would try and avoid mainstream music as it is too current and would go out of date quickly. Using a song which only a small minority would know would have it’s advantages, firstly because people tend not to have too much of an opinion on a song they do not know, however if I used a mainstream song it would run the risk of having a lot of people possibly disliking the song and therefore dismissing the advert. Also, in terms of profits, an unknown song is likely to want less on royalties, and it could also help the artist’s career if the advert is well liked. Adverts have been known to become a talking point based on the music they use, and occasionally the music gets into the charts! This is also a huge advantage for the product because everyone is talking about it.

I believe that my advert idea would appeal directly to boys aged 14-18 because of the different areas it covers regarding the location and action in the shots. Boys of this age will be able to relate to at least one (but ideally more) of the situations. Also, teenagers often find themselves lacking in energy, and so ‘Give it some Oomph’ as in ‘get some energy’ would be a good selling point. 










No comments:

Post a Comment